Going to the gym can be quite intimidating at first as there are numerous equipment whose name and particular use are alien to many. The different types of equipment found in a gym are basically categorized either as free weights or machines.
Free weight gym equipment is the basic bodybuilding equipment. Free weights, are called as such since there are no attached pulleys, cables, pins, or weight stacks on them.
- A barbell is a piece of free weight exercise equipment that is utilized in weight training, weightlifting and powerlifting. The components of a barbell are a metal bar, one or more weight plates set and a set of collars. Its length may range from 4 to six feet.Both hands are used to hold and lift the barbell while doing the exercise.
- A dumbbell is a type of free weight equipment mostly used for weight training which appears like a short or small barbell with usual length of 10 to 15 inches long. In performing dumbbell exercises, each hand holds a dumbbell. Adjustable dumbbells are those with small collars clipped on the ends of the dumbbells to hold the weight plates.
- The EZ curl bar is a free weight equipment basically designed for the biceps and triceps. It appears shorter than a barbell with angled placements. Compared to the common barbell, the EZ curl is ideal to work muscles at different angles as it reduces the stress on the wrist.
The other category of gym equipment is the machine. Machine gym equipment help form and reinforce the muscles as well as burn additional fats and calories.
- The treadmill is an exercise machine used for running or walking but staying in one place. Recent model of treadmills are now equipped with digital meters to indicate speed, amount of calories burned, heart rate and the distance traveled. The intensity of the workout may either be decreased or increased via the provided adjustment features. Using the treadmill for exercise produces les strain to the ankles, knees and lower back which may result in running or walking on a normal surface.
- The elliptical trainer is a fixed machine for performing non-impact cardiovascular workouts that ranges from light to high powered as preferred by the exerciser. This is a machine that is suitable for a total body workout without excessive pressure to the joints and reduces the risk of impact injuries.
- An exercise bike, also known as stationary bicycle or Exercycle is like real bicycle without the wheels. It is an exercise machine that is used to tone the body’s lower part, work the legs, thighs and hips. Using the stationary bike is known to strengthen the legs and reduce the fats deposited at the hips and thighs. There are stationary bikes with digital meters that helps the user mark his covered distance, his speed, the number of calories burned and the time spent on cycling. Stationary bikes are used for to perform weight loss and cardiovascular exercises; as well as to increase general fitness and to train for cycle events.